How Do I Approach the Moving Process
Moving services are still available in the state of Colorado as dictated by the governor’s office. It is recommended to proceed with extreme caution if you do attempt to move into a new home. Here are some best practices if you do decide to move during this time.
Check-in with your moving company
State laws have not shut down moving services as it falls under an essential business category. However, private business owners can choose not to operate. If you have not received any updates regarding your upcoming move from your moving company, then there should be no reason for concern.
Despite this getting in contact with them is still in your best interest. Check in to ensure the company is operating as normal, discuss what precautions would need to be implemented with the move. As well as how they are operating under COVID-19 and re-strategize elements of the move that may leave you or the crew vulnerable to infection.
Try a solo move
Due to the nature of the pandemic you should make every attempt to distance yourself from other people at this time. If it is feasible for you to move into your new space by yourself this option may be the best as you limit your exposure to others who may have come into contact with the virus. State laws allow individuals to rent vans and other essential equipment to aid with their moves.
What to do during the move
Once you have determined your move will still be happening, follow these best practices to minimize the risk of infection.
- Follow the CDC’s guidelines on social distancing. These include staying 6 feet away from others, periodically washing your hands, and avoiding touching your face especially your mouth, nose, and eyes.
- Ensure there is soap, hand sanitizer, masks, and gloves available for everyone involved. If you are working with a moving company, they may provide these.
- Do not use recycled boxes and opt for pre-sealed packaging, the virus can live on cardboard surfaces for multiple days so to mitigate risks opt for new boxes.
- Sanitize your items as you pack them, this will allow you to keep track of what items have been cleaned.
- Once you are done packing do a deep clean of the apartment to ensure surfaces that are often touched have been properly sanitized.